Thursday, July 21, 2011

Toddler devotional time...

Over the past yr, I have been trying to figure out different ways to have a fun, interactive devotional time with Grace.  It has been a challenge, there have been times when I have expected to much out of her.  I had it in my head that she would enjoy sitting down, having a thorough time of prayer, and reading the word.....I mean, what in the world was I thinking?!? After all Grace is only a toddler!!!

My goal, is to make daily time with Jesus a part of my children's lives.  So daily devotional time in the mornings is a must in our house.  I feel that if I set the foundation now, it will play a big part in their lives in the future.  I have come up with some tips on how to have a successful ( for the most part) lol, fun, interactive devotional time with your toddler. 

1. Mornings is best:  From personal experience, I have found that when I start devotional time right after breakfast, I have more of my kids attention.  They are ready to do something fun, and their mind is nice and clear.

2. Stick to the same music:  We use the same praise song and CD every morning for a long period of time before changing it up.  Once I turn the music on and Grace hears her favorite praise song, she knows its time to get her instruments, and dance ;)

3. Use instruments:  Instruments are so much fun.  Grace loves to beat the drum and shake her shakers, it adds to the enjoyment of praising Jesus.



4.  Use paint & crayons:  This one of the best ways to keep your toddler engaged.  I normally pick a scripture, and draw it out, then share the picture with her.  She loves it, and it is a good way to teach them scripture.


5. Pick a scripture:  Every morning, I have a verse  picked out.  I read the verse, ask Grace a question, and draw it for her. You can even stick with a theme! like creation!

7. Worship extravagantly:  Give Jesus your ALL..sing with all that you have, and dance your heart out.  Teach your children how to worship, show them the enjoyment that is found in worshiping God. 

6. Keep it short and simple:  I try to keep devotional time to 30 min.  Sometimes we even go less, depending on how Grace is doing.

Well that is all! I hope this helps....;) What are some of the things you do with your children during devotional??? 

4 comments:

  1. This is WONDERFUL. Thank you for sharing some great ideas! I think I "think like an adult" often when I try to teach my daughter about God. These are great kid-friendly methods.

    I'm leading a Bible study at my church with about 10 people this fall, on parenting...one lesson will be about passing on faith to kids. Could I have your permission to print your post off and share it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally be ok if you printed this and used it ;) not a problem...and thank you for your feedback!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Melany! Obviously, I will credit you.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your welcome..and no worries..you can put your name on it! ;)

    ReplyDelete