Monday, October 10, 2011

Oh, It's tricky having a toddler!

Discipline! oh Discipline...It has been one tricky week for us.  Our little girl, who we have always known has quit the spicy personality, has definitely been expressing her desires daily.  BUT, there is a problem, this week, little lady thought she was the boss of the house....it has been pretty stressful, and it is a hard thing to discipline out of complete love and not anger sometimes.  In the end, we do discipline her because we love her, and our desire is that our kids become more and more like Jesus, and love others well, but sometimes patience has really run low, and anger is released through my yells....:/

I think we all face the same fear.  The fear of our little ones not loving us or liking us because we discipline.  Sometimes I get sad after I discipline Grace, no matter how nicely I do it, I feel guilt that I made her sad, and fear that she wont love me anymore.  That is also where I believe parents fail, or at least " modern day parents", they don't want their kids to be upset, OR they don't want to deal with the stresses of discipline, letting them get away with it seems much easier......sigh....  I have fallen into the trap many times.  The only thing that keeps me firm is that as a parent, as a christian parent, I am called to discpline my children. It is my job and my responsibility. Here are some scriptures I always keep in my heart and mind.
Proverbs 13:24
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.
Proverbs 19:18
Discipline your children, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to their death.
Proverbs 22:15
Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far away.
Proverbs 23:13
Saying 13 Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish them with the rod, they will not die.

So, with all that said, it's Monday, and I am so ready to start this week, to show Grace who's boss.  I refuse to have a disrespectful, disobedient child, if she is rude at home, she will be to others as well.  Through the wisdom and direction the Lord gives Moises and I, I feel confident we will discipline and raise out kids rightly.   This truly is one of the trickiest, hardest parts of raising a toddler, a child in general for that matter.

Nicole and I are going to be reading the book The Happiest Toddler on the Block, this book can't get here fast enough.  Once I start reading it, I will post all of my successful moments with my toddler! Breakthrough is coming people hehe lol
PLEASE, share your thoughts and ideas on how you discipline your child!

No comments:

Post a Comment