Monday, August 22, 2011

Having a Mary heart in a Martha world.

Feeling drained? Some of us work as stay at home mommas, some work a full time or part time job a long with having to run a home, take care of kids and make sure the husband is satisfied and taken care of as well.   Growing weary at heart is a place we often find ourselves in, I for one, tend to be in this place quit often.

The battle with in us always remains, and sometimes we fight it vigourously and other times we give in to all the mundanes and weariness this life may bring...The ever so constant battle is...

FINDING INTIMACY WITH GOD IN THE BUSYNESS OF LIFE...

I have been looking at the story of Mary and Martha out of Luke 10:38-42 ....Martha was so ready to serve, I mean after all, the great teacher and friend was going over for dinner!  The house had to be squeaky clean, everything had to be in its place, the food had to be cooking and EVERYTHING just had to be PERFECT.  She was so willing and so ready! Do you ever find yourselves in that spot?  I DO!! Not just when guest are coming to visit but I am like that everyday!  Going through my daily chores, making sure the kids are fed, house is clean, and lets not forget smelling amazing, dishes are done, laundry is washed, floors are swept and vacuumed, dinner is ready and served for the husband after work, and the list goes on and on! I know I am not alone on this one ;) 

During all that hard work and service Martha was doing for Jesus, she found her self in a place of discouragement...and even doubted if He cared!

Mark 10:40 But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell Her to Help me?

I am completely guilty of asking myself the same question, Jesus Don't you care??? All this that I am doing, why don't you care?? Then I find myself not only having a distracted heart, but a discouraged and doubtful heart as well.   What I really love in this story is the response Jesus gave Martha.  In His tenderness towards her, and in His love.....

" Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things, But onething is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken from her"

I don't think Martha was in the complete wrong, or that Jesus was pointing fingers at her and favoring her sister.  After all we are called to serve, BUT first we are called to LOVE HIM! and that is what Martha was missing.  Not that she didn't love Jesus, but she wasn't taking the time to just BE...to sit, to listen and to be refreshed by the words of Jesus, the onething that Mary her sister did understand.

Yes, our homes must be kept, children must be fed, and dishes are to be cleaned, but that servanthood must be birthed out of a place of prayer and intimacy with the Lord.  We must choose the good part, so that in our service to Him, we don't become burned out and truthfully miserable! 

He is the oil that will keep our lamps burning, and the one that will drive us to serve our families and others the way we do,  all out of a place of LOVE, and INTIMACY with Him.

Now, what are some ways you all maintain a Mary heart, in a Martha World?? please share ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment