Friday, March 4, 2011

Raising Your Children for Christ..

 I have had this book since December, but never really got into it.  Today Joshua and Grace are actually sleeping at the same time, which means I have some quiet time.  I thought I would make my time useful since alot of the time I end up watching some house or style program lol.  I picked the book back up and it is such a beautiful book.  I just wanted to share some points the author makes in the first chapter.

The first chapter is titled " The Family- As God created it."  with reference to Genesis 1:27,28.  I just want to quote some stuff he said that hit my heart. 
  • God is Love.  God lives not for Himself alone, but finds His blessings in imparting His life to others. 
  • Our purpose as parents is to reflect the love of the Fathers heavenly home.
  • The role of an earthly father is to have the image and likeness of the divine Father.  To reflect God's image as he cares and shows love to his child.
All these points he made hit my heart.  It kind of strikes fear in me, godly fear, the weight of what it truly means to be a godly parent.  Not just make sure kids are fed, changed, going to school etc but actually reflecting the love of the Father.  Building a home that shines with righteounes, holiness and joy, a home that reflects the heavenly home and  to have a relationship with my children as the Father has with Jesus, wow!! How do I get there???  Making His thoughts mine and leaning and trusting in His love for me, trusting that as I give Him my heart that he will lead both Moises and I and will enable us to make our home a reflection of Him.  All I can say is help me Lord, teach me about your Father heart, that I may have the same heart towards my children.  What a major responsibility we have!

Here is a prayer Andrew Murray writes at the end of the chapter:
Lord God, You have made me a parent and given me a child of my own.  I humbly confess, that the perfect love and joy of heaven has not been reflected in my home.  I have failed to understand my calling as a parent.  Father, forgive me. I ask You to guide and help me in the study of Your Holy Word.  Help me to realize your purposes for me as a parent.  Teach me to know You a the perfect Father.  As I study Your example as a divine Parent, make me to be a true parent to my child.  Let Your love and blessing rest on our home. Amen.

 I hope you guys find this useful! I do! ok, now back to house work, my pile of laundry is unfortunately calling my name =)

1 comment:

  1. We have this book at the OHOP library and I've been wanting to get it FOREVER! [lol]. It sounds amazing. It's the next ministry book I'm going to read. :) (Normally I read one that builds my spirit man as an individual and one that builds my spirit man as a wife and Mommy). This is AWESOME Mel!

    And great choice on reading the book instead of that pesky TV! ;)

    ReplyDelete